Friday, January 31, 2014

Fortune Favors the Bold



Time and time again, even from when we probably didn’t have a clue as to what they were, we all looked forward to the true reward of eating at a Chinese restaurant: the fortune cookie. These golden treasure chests were just waiting to be cracked open, to show us what we can look forward to in our future. Most of us probably didn’t care for the actual cookie (I didn’t until a couple of years ago), but were much more concerned of what was inside.

It’s funny how a little strip of paper stuffed into a cookie causes us to think so much. Maybe it fills someone with anticipation, or gives someone else a good laugh. Whatever the purpose is, something clicks inside of our brains that whenever something peculiar happens afterwards, we think “that must be what the fortune cookie meant!” As always, a fortune is always subject to interpretation. “You will have a pleasant surprise” might actually mean a penny you find around the corner. “Good things take time” might just be the cookies sitting in the oven. No one really knows what power these things have, but fortunes find their way into our lives one way or another.

There’s one fortune cookie in particular that I cracked open a few days ago. Inside, it read: “Happiness is around the corner, wealth down the street.” My mind instantly started racing. Was I going to see a long lost friend? Was I going to find a $100 bill lying on the ground? Unfortunately, neither of those things happened, but I decided to take my own interpretation of it. I found happiness around the corner as when I left lunch, it had actually warmed up about five or six degrees. Those five or six degrees were the dividing line between me being comfortable in a coat and hoping my nose didn't fall off. As for the wealth that I found down the street? I found it after a walk back to my dorm, where I was surrounded by my friends, welcoming me back. It might not be the conventional wealth, but friendships are priceless. Truly, these strips of paper only have the power of our imagination and attitude. Depending on how we look at things, there are limitless possibilities. How do you look at situations? There’s probably a time or two where putting a positive spin on things can make a world of difference.

Now let’s jump back to the whole fortune cookie. They all share the same outside characteristics as one another, but what’s inside could be totally different. Does that remind you of anything? If you’re thinking of the FFA, then we’re on the same wavelength. Whether you meet someone at a CDE, or make a new friend at Convention, we all have common ground. We’re all linked by the blue corduroy, but at the same time, we’re all individuals. We all possess different outlooks and perspectives, and can impact others with our actions.

When we get to know someone, we have the chance to see what’s inside; what makes them special. What you learn might get you thinking, and want to know more. The bonds we make through FFA are strong and true, and through them, we can make a difference. How can you use your message to make an impact? How can you take that first step towards a more positive outlook? And as you meet new people, remember to be bold, because fortune favors those who are.

Kansas FFA, we out!

No comments: