Friday, October 11, 2013

Doctor's Advice

Green Eggs and Ham, The Lorax, and of course The Cat in the Hat. Stories all created by Theodor Geisel, also known as the one and only Dr. Seuss. The winner of many awards for his creations, Dr. Seuss was also known as a perfectionist. He would not settle on a story until he was sure that the theme was exactly what he wanted. It is said that it wasn't uncommon for Seuss to throw out 95% of his current work and start from almost scratch. But his endless pursuit for perfection shows in his work, providing countless lessons, laughs, and memories.

I was given a book of Dr. Seuss quotes as a gift before I graduated, and was told that if I ever need a smile, or a little extra motivation, to look through the pages. Here are some of my favorites:

"You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So...get on your way!"
-Oh, the Places You'll Go!

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"
-Dr. Seuss

"If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew. Just go right along and you'll start happening too."
-Oh, the Places You'll Go!

These quotes remind me that we all have a journey ahead of us whether that is achieving a goal or trying something new. There's no better day to make progress than today, and the trip becomes easier when you can just be yourself.

If I ever need a pick-me-up, or a good rhyme, I'll always be sure to find a quote by Dr. Seuss. What quote speaks to you? Is it motivational, or thoughtful? How can your favorite quotes empower your actions?

Kansas FFA, we out!

No comments: